|[ < ]||[ > ]||[ << ]||[ Up ]||[ >> ]||[Top]||[Contents]||[Index]||[ ? ]|
In July 1992, after months of alpha testing, I released Autoconf 1.0,
and converted many GNU packages to use it. I was surprised by how
positive the reaction to it was. More people started using it than I
could keep track of, including people working on software that wasn't
part of the GNU Project (such as TCL, FSP, and Kerberos V5).
Autoconf continued to improve rapidly, as many people using the
configure scripts reported problems they encountered.
Autoconf turned out to be a good torture test for M4 implementations.
m4 started to dump core because of the length of the
macros that Autoconf defined, and several bugs showed up in GNU
m4 as well. Eventually, we realized that we needed to use some
features that only GNU M4 has. 4.3BSD
particular, has an impoverished set of builtin macros; the System V
version is better, but still doesn't provide everything we need.
More development occurred as people put Autoconf under more stresses
(and to uses I hadn't anticipated). Karl Berry added checks for X11.
david zuhn contributed C++ support. Fran@,cois Pinard made it diagnose
invalid arguments. Jim Blandy bravely coerced it into configuring
GNU Emacs, laying the groundwork for several later improvements.
Roland McGrath got it to configure the GNU C Library, wrote the
autoheader script to automate the creation of C header file
templates, and added a `--verbose' option to
Noah Friedman added the `--autoconf-dir' option and
AC_MACRODIR environment variable. (He also coined the term
autoconfiscate to mean "adapt a software package to use
Autoconf".) Roland and Noah improved the quoting protection in
AC_DEFINE and fixed many bugs, especially when I got sick of
dealing with portability problems from February through June, 1993.